What's new

Did you hear about ATR??

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote
The average true range (ATR) indicator is developed by J.Welles Wilder and it is used to measure the volatility of a currency pair. Unlike the other forex indicators we have went through so far, the average true range (ATR) indicator does not provide any indication of the price movement.

There are a total of 3 different ways you can calculate the average true range (ATR) of a currency pair.

* Recent High minus the Recent Low

* Recent High minus the previous Close

* Recent Low minus the previous Close

However the value that you will use as the true range will depend on which of them are larger. With your trading platform, there is usually no need to calculate these values yourself. Your trading platform will help you to calculate the value and plot it into a graph.

ATR indicator helps to analyze the price movement. The job of the trader is to use the price chart to determine direction of the Forex pair he/she is trading at the time.

I use the ATR to determine my stop loss levels for my swing trades. Say if the ATR for EURUSD is 50 pips, I will ensure that my stop loss is at least 75 pips (ie 1.5x of ATR). Works well so far.

If i check ATR then i ignore curve and use only the most important number at the top left corner of ATR tool area but i am still nor sure what are the min/max values of such number that i should care about?

The average true range (ATR) indicator is developed by J.Welles Wilder and it is used to measure the volatility of a currency pair. Unlike the other forex indicators we have went through so far, the average true range (ATR) indicator does not provide any indication of the price movement.

There are a total of 3 different ways you can calculate the average true range (ATR) of a currency pair.

* Recent High minus the Recent Low

* Recent High minus the previous Close

* Recent Low minus the previous Close

However the value that you will use as the true range will depend on which of them are larger. With your trading platform, there is usually no need to calculate these values yourself. Your trading platform will help you to calculate the value and plot it into a graph.
Awesome thank you so much

I use the ATR to determine my stop loss levels for my swing trades. Say if the ATR for EURUSD is 50 pips, I will ensure that my stop loss is at least 75 pips (ie 1.5x of ATR). Works well so far.
That's how I used ATR as well. It is not for deciding on trade entry but to determine how much the currency pair has moved.

it helps to mesure volatility but you cant use it for long period because sometimes all the picks are bellow or under the ligne you design, there is some more effective site to see the volatility of currencys

thanks for sharing this useful information
I think all of us need to read and understand more about ATR

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.