What's new

5 mistakes you might make as a new trader

5.00 star(s) 3 Votes
Hi, fellow traders! I'm sharing with you a few points that I wish someone had told me during my initial trading days. If you have more points, do add on!

1. Making multiple trades
Wanting to diversify your portfolio is good. But doing it too soon as a newbie might leave you bombarded with information and data that you might not be able to keep track of. Hence, take it slow!

2. Seeking multiple opinions from multiple people
There's an ocean of information out there and each trader has his/her own way of making trades. What worked for one, might not work for the other, and vice-versa. Seeking too much information for fear of missing out might leave you confused and feeling lost. It's always best to learn first, and then work out your own strategy.

3. Making decisions based on emotions
In the initial stages, loosing can make you feel like trading is not your cup of tea and that you'll never be as good as your fellow traders. But you have to accept that there's no profit in trade without a certain loss. You can't escape loss, but you can definitely minimize it.

4. Not having a trading plan in place
You must have heard from many to keep a journal, which new traders often tend to overlook. Well, it's one of the most important things to do, perhaps the easiest. It helps you note important variables like your entry and exit points, whether the trade was long or short, etc. It helps you understand what works for you and what doesn't, as well as your strengths and weaknesses, and helps you make an informed decision moving forward.

5. Trading without taking global events into account
Global events like natural disasters, political elections, war, etc. can have a huge impact on a country's currency. Although it's extremely difficult to forecast these events in advance, good traders will stay informed and use them to their advantage.

I have seen many new traders looking for short-term gains, but it should be the other way around. If you want to see profit, you must be in for the long haul.

Lack of education is of the biggest mistake a new trader can make. Have you seen how new traders jump into the trades and either end up loosing all money, or stop trading for good. It's only because they lack knowledge. It isnt so hard to learn with everything available in the internet today. But, you must be careful of what you learn and where you learn it from. Best option I suggest new traders is to make use of the educational content offered by major brokers like fp markets, eToro, and many more.

I would add that a common mistake is the desire to quickly compensate for the loss. That is, many cannot wait until all the conditions for their trading strategy appear for the next trade. And such actions can lead to even greater losses.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.