What's new

General MT4 Investor Password: Everything You Need to Know

Ruben JR

What is an investor password?
Investor password in MT4 is just another password to login to your MT4 account. It’s a secret phrase containing numbers and letters. It gives read-only access to the trading account, and this is how you can show your trading results to other traders.

Each MetaTrader account has two passwords – main password (a.k.a. master or primary) and an investor password. Each password gives us different permissions in the trading account.

Usually, we log in to MT4 account using the main password as this is what Forex brokers provide us. The main password gives us all trading permissions. It means we can open new trades, and change or close existing trades.

When we log in to MT4 account using an investor password, we do not have any trading permissions. We can only see the open trades and account history.

When you give your investor phrase to other traders, they can evaluate your trading strategy. And of course, you are safe because trading is not allowed in investor mode. You can share your read-only password with anyone you want: other traders, your friends, family, clients, etc.

What you can do with the investor password
How to use a read-only password in MT4:

• Give your investor password to friends and family so they can see your trades. They can take the same trades or learn from your trading.
  • Give your investor password to potential investors so they can evaluate your trading performance.
  • Use your investor password to upload and verify trading record on Myfxbook. It will show you analytics of your trading.
  • Sell access to your MT4 trading account via investor password for additional income. Other people can buy it to access your trades and copy them to their account.
When you log into MT4 using the investor secret phrase, traders also call this “investor mode” or “MT4 investor account”.

In MT4 investor mode, the platform does not allow any trading operations. It means you are entirely safe to share your investor secret phrase with others.

If at any point you want to deny this access you change the read-only password.

How to find MT4 investor password
Investor password is usually created automatically by your Forex broker when you open an MT4 account with them. Both demo and live trading account have them.

Places where you can find read-only password:

• You are presented your investor secret phrase every time you create a demo MT4 account. Make sure you write it down.
  • You can find it in the Mailbox tab at the bottom of MetaTrader.
  • Brokers might send it by email.
  • You can create it yourself if you have the main MT4 password.
Best way to keep your MetaTrader passwords safe and be able to find them anytime is to save them as a screenshot on your computer.

After you create an account on MT4, the last screen of this process will show you all information on the new account.

In the example screenshot, you can see it shows account name, type, deposit type, server name, login (MT4 account number) and both password (main and investor).

If you click Finish at this stage, you won’t see them again. Forex broker might send them to your email, but usually, they don’t.

So it is best to save this window as a screenshot on your computer.

I have a folder on my computer. Every time I create a new MT4 account I always save passwords as a screenshot. The file name is MT4 account number (login), so it is easy for me to find it when I need it later.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.