What's new

78 Fall Victim to a Bitcoin Scam in Canada’s Ontario Province

mlawson71

78 people became a victim of a Bitcoin scam in the Canadian province of Ontario according to a statement released by the Waterloo Regional Police Service. The scammers ripped their victims off with CA$430,000 (US$326,649.50).

The scammers, presenting themselves as employees of Serrvice Canada, Service Ontario, or Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) or other agencies, some of which are law enforcement entities, were making phonecalls pushing for Bitcoin payments.

The criminals were calling people and threatening them with arrest unless they were paid in Bitcoin. In other cases they told victims that their ocial Insurance Number was compromised or that they owed CRA or Service Canada money.
Source

Frankly, I wonder how anyone even believed these scammers. “Pay me in Bitcoin or I’ll get you arrested.” Really?

78 people became a victim of a Bitcoin scam in the Canadian province of Ontario according to a statement released by the Waterloo Regional Police Service. The scammers ripped their victims off with CA$430,000 (US$326,649.50).

The scammers, presenting themselves as employees of Serrvice Canada, Service Ontario, or Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) or other agencies, some of which are law enforcement entities, were making phonecalls pushing for Bitcoin payments.

The criminals were calling people and threatening them with arrest unless they were paid in Bitcoin. In other cases they told victims that their ocial Insurance Number was compromised or that they owed CRA or Service Canada money.
Source

Frankly, I wonder how anyone even believed these scammers. “Pay me in Bitcoin or I’ll get you arrested.” Really?
I don't know how anybody could fall for this seriously!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.