What's new

Are Risk/Reward ratios simply nonsense?

fxhunter98

Sorry for the provocative looking title, but most of what I've been reading on these forums about risk / reward seems to treat their calculation as simply the difference between opening price and SL/TP ... albeit SL and TP prices derived from (perceived) S/R or trend or phases of the moon.

However, as both the SL and TP are subjective figures drawn by the trader himself, they are irrelevant till one of them is activated. They are simply dots on a screen and have no direct influence on risk (except to the extent that SL may attract stop hunters in which situation having an SL may actually add to the risk, but that's a different story).

In the meanwhile, the real risk is dependent on various technical, fundamental and market sentiment influences.

I'm sure that trading based on those calculations works for some traders, but that has little to do with real risk/potential reward of the trade and more to do with their judgment (or their backtested system) deciding where to place SL and TP in a manner that has worked statistically in the past.

How do YOU calculate potential real risk and potential reward prior to placing a trade?

Case #1: Trading News
I recommend setting 10 pips standard stop-loss and 50 pips take-profit on news such as GDP, CPI, or retail sales. 15-20 pips stop-loss and 75-100 pips take-profit on news such as the FOMC rate decision, FOMC minutes, or NFP (US Non-Farm Payrolls).
Case #2: Swing
I recommend setting +10 pips previous high/low of entry level

I hope this could help you

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.