What's new

Orderflow Vs. Price action trading

2.70 star(s) 3 Votes

Anne

Orderflow Vs Pure Price action
  • Orderflow analysis involves the reading of the orderflow footprint chart for various signals whereas the Pure Price action analysis involves analyzing raw price action on raw charts without any indicators. The chart could be of any kind but most often than not, people tend to prefer the candle charts.
  • Advantages of Orderflow
  • It is claimed to desect the candles to show live activity of buyers and sellers on the bid and ask.
  • It is said to be effective in the shorter time frames
  • Disadvantages of orderflow
  • It is only applicable on the Ninja Trader platform (I have yet to see it applicable on other platforms)
  • Orderflow software are expensive to purchase unless you get a cracked copy ;) :p
  • It takes time to learn
  • They in many cases show different signals on different machines (Eg a buy signal could appear on ones machine and the other one doesn’t show yet the data feed is the same!!) I have personally experienced this one and boy was it confusing!!!
  • Advantages of Price Action
  • It is pure in its form… (I mean there if a long wick appears in one candle, it will most probably be similar across the board regardless of the broker in as much as there will me data variation amongst them. Unlike O.F which will show the wick but the data inside the candle is mismatched.
  • It is available on all trading software therefore cheap to use
  • Disadvantages of Price action
  • It takes time to study and understand
These are based off my over 1 year experience with OF. It did not work for me as I found it very inconsistent (Though I did have some profitable days though I feel price action is more superior)

correction not only available on ninja trader
it is there in MT5 but you purchase the EA in the Market wrt the Footprint charting
Sierra Charts also has OF.

I have spent last 6 months learning price action and have been having some success with it but no consistency. So I am going to try to learn orderflow now!

yes price action is good to trade rather than signals based on indicator. orderlow analysis is boostup your analysis with price action

Orderflow Vs Pure Price action
  • Orderflow analysis involves the reading of the orderflow footprint chart for various signals whereas the Pure Price action analysis involves analyzing raw price action on raw charts without any indicators. The chart could be of any kind but most often than not, people tend to prefer the candle charts.
  • Advantages of Orderflow
  • It is claimed to desect the candles to show live activity of buyers and sellers on the bid and ask.
  • It is said to be effective in the shorter time frames
  • Disadvantages of orderflow
  • It is only applicable on the Ninja Trader platform (I have yet to see it applicable on other platforms)
  • Orderflow software are expensive to purchase unless you get a cracked copy ;) :p
  • It takes time to learn
  • They in many cases show different signals on different machines (Eg a buy signal could appear on ones machine and the other one doesn’t show yet the data feed is the same!!) I have personally experienced this one and boy was it confusing!!!
  • Advantages of Price Action
  • It is pure in its form… (I mean there if a long wick appears in one candle, it will most probably be similar across the board regardless of the broker in as much as there will me data variation amongst them. Unlike O.F which will show the wick but the data inside the candle is mismatched.
  • It is available on all trading software therefore cheap to use
  • Disadvantages of Price action
  • It takes time to study and understand
These are based off my over 1 year experience with OF. It did not work for me as I found it very inconsistent (Though I did have some profitable days though I feel price action is more superior)

I'm looking for a good order flow course

I tried trading using price action but it seems like smart money always outsmarts price action so I want to try the order flow way

I have not been consistent with the price action technique, if someone can share a good book on the subject I will thank you very much

For scalping I’d suggest you read “Forex Scalping Trading Strategies” by Thomas Carter.
And for swing trading you can read “Day trading and Swing Trading the Currency Market” by Kathy Lien.

Maybe you can consider combining both price action with order flow, importance key levels with the confluence from OF should be very powerful in my opinion

Price action is trading blind, orderflow never lies. Good question to ask is where is all this data forming these candles and moving Price coming from and that's orderflow. download.jpeg
Trade what you see not what you think is gonna happen #ORDERFLOW NEVER LIE

A bullish engulfing can form from aggressive retail buying and passive smart money sellers. Price action confirmation bullish....Only orderflow can show you that trap move. ORDERFLOW simplified = FOOTPRINT + VOLUME PROFILE + HEATMAP/MARKET DEPTH(Bookmap)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.