What's new

How to Become Emotionless

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

kashkai

Becoming emotionless can be a very useful tactic to deal with problems that might be better handled with less heart and more brain. The following is a list of steps to take in order to remove the heart from the situation, and start using your head.

Steps

1. Meditate. This is one of the better tools to become emotionless. There several are different types of meditation, including Vipassana and Huna, that you can investigate to see which one is right for you. Even the most basic form: closing your eyes and breathing deep, is sometimes enough to loose your emotions.
  2. Dissociate yourself from the situation. Uou can do this by seeing yourself as an observer of the situation and not an active participant.
  3. Think logically, not emotionally. If you can't dissociate yourself from the situation, then take a more logical approach (i.e. facts/figures) than an approach of anger, hatred, fear, etc. Think of the reasons behind the actions and look at things from all sides before making any sort of judgment.
  4. Think of something else. When dealing with a situation that requires the lack of emotion, think of something rudimentary that occupies your mind. A few examples of things to try are: Long division, listing the full names of your entire family, listing all 50 states, naming as many mammals as you can, etc. The key to doing this correctly is to occupy your mind with boringness while remaining aware of the situation and taking it all in.
  5. Realize that you may be wrong. Emotions can cloud our judgment, and there’s always a possibility that you are simply wrong. If you realize this, let it go. Pride will only muck up the situation.

Good points, and important. So much loss (in trading but also in life) comes from being tied up emotionally, reacting to stress and other things. Cool heads prevail. We're all human, after all.

Becoming emotionless can be a very useful tactic to deal with problems that might be better handled with less heart and more brain. The following is a list of steps to take in order to remove the heart from the situation, and start using your head.

Steps

1. Meditate. This is one of the better tools to become emotionless. There several are different types of meditation, including Vipassana and Huna, that you can investigate to see which one is right for you. Even the most basic form: closing your eyes and breathing deep, is sometimes enough to loose your emotions.
  2. Dissociate yourself from the situation. Uou can do this by seeing yourself as an observer of the situation and not an active participant.
  3. Think logically, not emotionally. If you can't dissociate yourself from the situation, then take a more logical approach (i.e. facts/figures) than an approach of anger, hatred, fear, etc. Think of the reasons behind the actions and look at things from all sides before making any sort of judgment.
  4. Think of something else. When dealing with a situation that requires the lack of emotion, think of something rudimentary that occupies your mind. A few examples of things to try are: Long division, listing the full names of your entire family, listing all 50 states, naming as many mammals as you can, etc. The key to doing this correctly is to occupy your mind with boringness while remaining aware of the situation and taking it all in.
  5. Realize that you may be wrong. Emotions can cloud our judgment, and there’s always a possibility that you are simply wrong. If you realize this, let it go. Pride will only muck up the situation.
Excellent thread, I feel controlling your emotions is more than a useful tactic, its essential. It's taken me many years to realise that a big component of being a successful trader and making consistent gains over the long term is being able to remove emotion from trading and I'm still trying.

I do not think anyone can overcome the emotions, but not letting it hijack the rational thinking during a trade is the key

It is only natural to be emotional and many individuals confuse emotions with practical decisions, as long as they realise the difference between controlling your emotions, which means creating a balance between trading and daily life chores. Being patient is important.

Steps

Thanks for sharing this ... Mindset is definitely something that I have to work on to become better at trading.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.