What's new

When is the best and worst time for trading?

It varies person to person the best time to trade is when the market is most active within your region or the state you are trading

The best trading hours are the times when volume and volatility levels are highest.
Of the 4 sessions (London, NYC, Sydney, Tokyo), the best ones to trade are the London session and NYC session.
The rule of thumb regarding days of the week is that the middle days (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday) receive the most action. So if you want to trade just three days a week, these would be the best days.
  • Thee THREE worst months (Summer): June, July, and particularly, August.
  • The FOUR best months (Autumn): September, October, November, and December.
  • The FIVE good Months (Winter-Spring): January, February, March, April, and May

The best trading hours are the times when volume and volatility levels are highest.
Of the 4 sessions (London, NYC, Sydney, Tokyo), the best ones to trade are the London session and NYC session.
The rule of thumb regarding days of the week is that the middle days (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday) receive the most action. So if you want to trade just three days a week, these would be the best days.
  • Thee THREE worst months (Summer): June, July, and particularly, August.
  • The FOUR best months (Autumn): September, October, November, and December.
  • The FIVE good Months (Winter-Spring): January, February, March, April, and May
From my experience I have been able to verify that November and December are also not good months for forex trading, for the reasons that you indicate (low liquidity for different holiday dates in the institutions)

The time between Dec 20th to the first week of January is the time when the market is very slow. Because of the holidays, there are not many people who trade Forex and during the holidays the market is closed. Since many people are busy in shopping for holidays and since volatility is less, market is unpredictable.

Other than that there are no other times of the year that I could think nothing else.
Stay healthy and stay safe.

The best time to trade is during the overlapping of the NewYork Exchange and the London Exchange.
Avoid trading the market when liquidity is very low, this can cause significantly wider spreads.

Relying on a single trading strategy is all about foolishness. You should not trade multiple pairs altogether because it will work as a bar to the way of market analysis. You should rather pick only one or two pairs because of easy analysis. Eurotrader allows traders to apply all trading strategies on their platform.

The most active trading period and finest trading chances are during the overlap of the New York and London markets (8 a.m. to 12 EST). While less volatile than the New York/ London overlap, the Sydney/Tokyo markets overlap (2–4 a.m.) nonetheless presents chances. Trading should be avoided when market liquidity is extremely low because this can result in much greater spreads.

The London session, Sydney session, New York session, and Tokyo session are the four trading sessions. The best times of the day to trade, in my opinion, are during the New York session, which runs from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST, and the London session, which runs from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. EST.

Here I found a good page that introduces trading basics, risk management, the best & worst time for trading.
I sincerely hope it can be helpful to your trading.

Good suggestion, especially for newbies, however if you need something more advanced I would recommend to study technical analysis books or watch webinars like from Hotforex, if you prefer videos over books or find reading boring.

I prefer trading when liquidity is high, and volatility is medium. This is why I find the overlap of the U.S./London markets (8 a.m. to noon EST) are more profitable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.